THE FOLLOWING SKILL CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR ELIGIBLE STUDENTS IN THE UNITED STATES ONLY AND SHALL BE CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ACCORDING TO U.S. LAW. DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER IN THIS SITE IF YOU ARE NOT AN ELIGIBLE STUDENT PHYSICALLY LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND WHERE PROHIBITED.
The PR Council (formerly Council of Public Relations Firms) “Student Innovation Challenge” Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
- Eligibility: The “Student Innovation Challenge Video Contest” (the “Contest”) is free to enter and open to any full-time or part-time student currently enrolled in good standing at an accredited college or university in the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia), who has reached the age of 18 (or the age of majority, whichever is older) in his/her state of residence at the time of entry (“you” or “Contestant”), or recent graduate. Individuals who are full-time employees of a public relations firm or any other company/organization are not eligible to enter or win the Contest. Employees of the PR Council (“Sponsor” or “Administrator”), its affiliates, subsidiaries, management companies, advertising agencies and marketing companies and the immediate families of any of their respective employees or persons with whom such employees are domiciled are not eligible to enter or win the Contest. By participating in this Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules (“Rules”). Sponsor reserves the right to verify your eligibility qualifications and to disqualify you if you are found to be in violation of these eligibility requirements.
- Agreement to Rules: By participating in the Contest, you fully and unconditionally agree to and accept these Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Whether or not you receive a Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth in these Rules. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Contest Period: Entries will be accepted between 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on March 15, 2018 and 11:59:59 PT on June 15, 2018 (the “Contest Period”). Administrator’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
- How to Enter: to participate in the Contest, simply go to http://prcouncil.net/news/applications-now-open-for-prcs-student-innovation-challenge (the “Site”) and complete and submit the required entry form. In order to be eligible, each “Video” or “Entry” must satisfy the submission guidelines (“Submission Guidelines”) and Contest Requirements, as set forth herein. Entries that do not include all the required information and adhere to the Rules will be considered void. Sponsor and Administrator (collectively, the “Contest Facilitators”) are not responsible for lost, misdirected or incomplete Entries. Sponsor shall determine in its sole discretion if an Entry meets the Contest Requirements and otherwise complies with the Rules.
- Terms of Submission: Limit one (1) Entry per person/authorized email address account holder. You may withdraw your Entry at any time before the Contest Period ends by emailing Eva Chodosh at firstname.lastname@example.org. By participating in the Contest you permit public display of your entry materials and public voting in connection with your Entry.
- Rights Granted by you: By entering this Contest, you agree that:
a) Sponsor and its licensees, successors and assigns will have the right to use all or a part of your Entry, your name and address (city and state/province/territory), and the names, likenesses, photographs, voices, statements and images of all persons appearing in the Entry anywhere in the world and in perpetuity, for future advertising, trade, promotion and publicity in any manner and in any medium now known or hereafter devised, without compensation and without notice to you, and without review or approval from you; and
b) you agree that you will not now nor in the future be paid for your Entry or for granting the Sponsor any of the rights set out in these Rules.
- Your Representations and Warranties: By entering the Contest, you represent and warrant that:
a) you or your team are the sole and exclusive owner of your Entry;
b) you or your team Entry is your own creation and is 100% original;
c) you or your team Entry does not infringe on any rights of any third parties, including any third party copyrights (i.e., your Entry does not contain music, video clips, photographs, images, artwork, designs, etc. that belong to a third-party and for which you have not been given permission by that third-party to use in your Video);
d) use of your Entry by the Contest Facilitators, or the exercise by the Sponsor or Administrator of any of the rights granted by you under these Rules, will not infringe or violate any rights of any third party or entity, including, without limitation, patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, defamation, privacy, publicity, false light, misappropriation, confidentiality, or any contractual or other rights;
e) you have all the rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the Entry and to grant all of the rights that you have granted to the Contest Facilitators under these Rules; and
f) all persons who were engaged by you to work on the Entry, who appear in the Entry in any manner, or have contributed to the Entry have:
i. given you their written consent to submit the Entry without claims for payment of any kind; and
ii. provided written permission to include their name, likenesses, image or pictures in or with your Entry (or if a minor who is not your child, you must have the permission of their parent or legal guardian) and you may be asked by the Contest Facilitators to provide such permission in writing to the Contest Facilitators;
- Submission Guidelines: Your Video should not contain, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, any materials or other content that:
• Is sexually explicit or suggestive; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; contains nudity of any kind, including wearing of swimwear or undergarments;
• Promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous;
• Is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group;
• Defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging or false remarks about the Sponsor, or about other people, products, brands or companies;
• Contains copyrighted works/materials owned by others (including photographs, images, video clips, music or other sound recordings, paintings, designs, written passages, quotes and/or other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media), without permission;
• Contains any personally identifying identification, such as personal names, street or email addresses, or phone numbers;
• Violates or encourages the violation of any law;
• Contains materials embodying the names, likenesses or other indicia identifying any person without that person’s permission;
• Promotes any particular political party, agenda or message; and/or
• Communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive image and/or goodwill to which the Sponsor wishes to associate
IMPORTANT: Your Video should be respectful and professional at all times, as if you were presenting it to an actual client. And although your Entry is permitted to (but in no way is required to) discuss a real company/brand, and include the name, trademark, tagline, slogan, and/or logo of one or more such companies, your Entry may not, under any circumstances, in the sole determination of Sponsor, disparage, defame, or otherwise misrepresent each such company, its brand(s), product(s), service(s), trademarks, trade dress, and/or such company’s officers, directors and employees).
Contest Facilitators shall have the right to disqualify any Entries that they deem to be in violation of these Rules or otherwise inappropriate, untrue, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, lewd, derogatory, or otherwise not in good taste, as determined by the Contest Facilitators, in their sole discretion.
- Prizes: One (1) Winning entry will receive: (i) a cash prize of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000); (ii) a trip to the PR Council’s Annual Dinner and Diversity Distinction Awards, scheduled to take place on September 27, 2018, where Winner’s Video will be shown to 200+ PR firm leaders and executives; and (iii) the opportunity to have their Video showcased on Sponsor’s website, including a feature in blog post on Sponsor’s website. The trip includes of a 2-day/1-night trip for Winner to New York City, New York, including round-trip domestic coach airfare from a major gateway airport near Winner’s college residence, single occupancy hotel accommodations at a hotel to be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion and standard local ground transportation. During the trip, the Winner or Winning Team will also have the opportunity to meet with PR firm executives. Taxes, meals, gratuities, unscheduled transportation, incidental hotel charges, travel upgrades, or any other expenses not specifically listed herein shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. Travel and accommodations subject to availability; certain restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Winner must travel prior to September 27, 2018, or prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate. Winner must have all necessary identification and/or travel documents (e.g., a valid U.S. driver’s license) required for travel. Winner will be solely responsible for obtaining valid identification relating to acceptance and use of the prize. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of prize: $4,000, but actual value may vary depending on air flight fluctuations and distance between departure and destination. Winner will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value. Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemption, except in the case of unavailability of any prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- Winner(s): The winner or winning team (“Winner”) will be selected by July 31, 2018 from all eligible Entries received. If you are selected as a Winner, you will be notified of the selection of your Entry by the phone or email address provided by you on the Registration Form. Winner will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within seven (7) calendar days of prize notification. If winner cannot be contacted within seven (7) calendar days of first notification attempt, if prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Once winner has signed and returned the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release and his/her eligibility has been confirmed, winner will receive the prize. All decisions of the Sponsor in selecting the Winner are final and binding on all entrants in all matters relating to the Contest.
- Prize Redemption: A prize is personal to the Winner and is non-transferable. If a Winner cannot be contacted or fails to accept the prize within ten (10) days, the Winner forfeits the prize. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify the Winner’s agreement and consent that the Contest Facilitators may use the Winner’s name, photo, city, state, likeness, actual or paraphrased statements, Entry (including Video) and prize information in connection with the Contest, worldwide, including on the internet, without limitation and without further payment or consideration, except where prohibited by law. Each Winner (or his/her parent/guardian if the Winner is a minor) is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with receipt of the prize.
- Selection: All Entries properly submitted during the Contest Period pursuant to these Rules will be evaluated by a panel of judges to a semi-final and final round. Odds of winning depend on the number and quality of Entries received.
Professional Judging: Judges reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Entries that violate the Submission Guidelines and other restrictions set forth herein. All semi-finalist Entries will be judged by a panel of judges that have the required knowledge and experience to apply the Judging Criteria. The Entries will be judged by July 31, 2018 based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria: (a) strategy; (b) creativity; and (c) communication. Subject to verification, eligibility and compliance with these Rules, the highest scoring Entry will be selected as the Contest Winner. In the event of a tie, the Entry with a higher creativity score will break the tie. By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
- General Conditions: The Contest Facilitators have the right to verify your eligibility and compliance with these Rules, and to disqualify you on the basis of its investigation.
You may not enter with multiple e-mail and/or street addresses, nor may you use any other device or artifice to submit more than one (1) Entry or vote. If you use fraudulent Entry methods, or otherwise attempt to participate with multiple e-mail and/or street addresses under multiple identities, or use any device or artifice to enter more than one (1) Entry, you will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to any Entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the person who made the Entry. For the purposes of these Rules, the authorized “account holder” is the natural person assigned an e-mail address by an internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address.
Nothing contained in these Rules shall be construed to: (i) constitute the parties as partners, joint venturers, principal and agent, employer and employee, co-owners or entrants in a joint undertaking; or (ii) allow you to create or assume any obligation on behalf of the Sponsor.
By entering the Contest, you fully and unconditionally agree to and accept these Rules and the decisions of the Contest Facilitators and the members of the voting community, which are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest.
Contest Facilitators reserve the right to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest at any time (subject to approval of any regulatory body having jurisdiction), if it is determined that the Contest cannot be run as originally planned or if fraud or any other occurrence comprises the fairness or integrity of the Contest.
- Publicity/Press Releases: Contest entrants may not issue press releases or other publicity in connection with their participation in the Contest.
- Liability Provisions: The Contest Facilitators are not responsible for human error, theft, destruction, or damage to Entries or other factors beyond its reasonable control.
You assume all risk of damaged, lost, late, incomplete, invalid, incorrect or misdirected Entries. The Contest Facilitators make no warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in connection with its ability to in any way enable, develop or market the idea set forth in your Entry.
The Contest Facilitators shall not be liable to a Winner or any other person for failure to supply the Prize or any part thereof, by reason of the Prize becoming for reasons beyond the reasonable control of the Contest Facilitators unavailable or impracticable to award, or for any force majeure event, technical or equipment failure, terrorist acts, labor dispute, or act/omission of any kind (whether legal or illegal), transportation interruption, civil disturbance, or any other cause similar or dissimilar beyond the Sponsor’s control.
The Sponsor, Administrator and their employees, officers, directors, agents, contractors, representatives, affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries, resellers, dealers, distributors, and advertising/promotion agencies (the “Released Parties”) shall not assume any responsibility whatsoever for any of the following: delayed, failed, partial or garbled computer transmissions; technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, internet, or other connections; the availability, accessibility, technical failure or miscommunications of computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions; the incorrect or inaccurate capture or failure to capture information whether caused by Site or Site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, network or otherwise arising out of or relating to the Contest; theft, loss, destruction or damage to an Entry in whole or in part; and other factors beyond their reasonable control. The Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to your or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Site or any Contest Site.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE SITE OR ANY CONTEST SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR AND ADMINISTRATOR RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW AND TO DISQUALIFY YOU FROM THE CONTEST.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE RELEASED AND HELD HARMLESS BY YOU AND YOUR HEIRS, EXECUTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS FOR ANY CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION OF ANY KIND OR NATURE FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DISABILITY OR DEATH, AND DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, ARISING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, NOW OR IN THE FUTURE FROM THE DELIVERY, ACCEPTANCE, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZE, ANY AND ALL USE AS PROVIDED HEREIN OF YOUR ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST AND/OR ANY RELATED CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE SITE AND ANY CONTEST SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IN WHICH CASE SUCH LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION SHALL APPLY ONLY TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION.
- Choice of Law: ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THIS CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZES AWARDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION, AND EXCLUSIVELY BY ARBITRATION. ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF- POCKET COSTS INCURRED, INCLUDING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS CONTEST, BUT IN NO EVENT ATTORNEY’S FEES. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in New York City, New York. THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to New York County, New York. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
- Winner’s List. For the name of the winner, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Attn: Student Innovation Challenge Contest, PR Council, 708 3rd Ave, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10017, for receipt by October 31, 2018.
- Sponsor: PR Council, 708 3rd Ave, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10017.